Thursday, June 7, 2012

As we cling to our childhood we may just be letting go- To kill a Mocking BirdA

In the book To Kill a Mocking Bird by Harper Lee Scout is a girl who is dealing with the confusion of letting go of her childhood. Boo Radley is the character who represents her youth. Throughout the entire book Boo is the hidden mysterious neighbor. He is the spark to their fun and the adventure to their day. In the beginning of the book Boo is one of the main subjects, Scout, Jem and Dill spend their days trying to get him out of the his house or reenacting when he stabbed his fathers leg.

As the story progresses Boo becomes more of a figure in the past. Scout still thinks of him sometimes but it doesn't really cross her mind that often. Showing Scout is growing little by little. No matter how little she thinks of him though Boo Radley is still hidden deep somewhere in his house. On page 227 Jem says "Scout I think I'm beginning to understand something. I think I'm beginning to understand why Boo Radley's stayed shut up inside the house all this time... its because he wants to stay inside." Boo is afraid of the outer world. What happens if he goes outside and doesn't like what he sees but when he tries to run back inside the door is locked and there is no way of getting in. Scout doesn't want to let go of her childhood, its her spark and adventure. She is afraid that if she grows up she will become a boring adult.

On page 207 after Boo saves Scout she see's its him and says "Hey Boo." And then finds she should correct herself and say "Mr. Arthur." Mr. Arthur is saving Scout by going out of his house and putting himself in danger to help a little girl. Scout's childhood is saving her from the real world. She is coming out of this little world and taking a step into another planet. She is taking a huge step and is about to fall. When her youth pulls her back and helps her over the big crack separating one world from another.

A big step I had to take was stop sleeping with my night light. I always thought things would come and get me at night. My night light was one of the things that kept me safe. If I had to get up in the middle of the night it would guide me through the darkness of my room. But when I started sleeping without my night light it was scarier at night I would keep bumping into things every time I got up at night.. Sometimes I would have to plug my night light back in to avoid a stubbed toe.  My nightlight was my youth. My guide, and when I stopped using it I could get hurt, but little by little I learned to guide my way through my dark, dark room.

Harper Lee shows that growing up is the slow transition from childhood to adulthood. And its not about becoming a whole new person. Or changing the way we live. Its about becoming the improved versions of ourselves. More understanding, and even if we need a little help from our childhood being an adult doesn't have to be that hard.

2 comments:

  1. Wow you really understood the book of how to kil a mockingbird. I really like when you said that Harper Lee shows that growing up is the slow transition from childhood to adulthood. You really told me a very important message about the book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this post anouk! So strong with the message and it was really clear! GREAT JOB!

    ReplyDelete